11 October 2012

Plate Up. Potato and Leek Soup





I absolutely love food and pride myself on that fact that I have tried so many things, which is why it’s so strange that I had never had potato and leek soup. I thought it was about time I tried it, and how better to do it than make it myself! I’m pleased to tell you it was so delicious! I would actually go so far as to say it was the nicest soup I’ve ever had! This is the perfect recipe to make up a big batch and freeze it in portions for later, it’s tastes just as good reheated as it does freshly made. Enjoy!

What you’ll need:
1½ cups chicken stock
1 cup vegetable stock
1 tablespoon olive oil
50g butter
4 medium potatoes, chopped coarsely
1 large leek, sliced
100ml cream
2 tablespoons finely chopped chives
1 tablespoon finely chopped dill

What to do:
Heat oil and butter in a large saucepan, cook potato and leek, covered for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add stock and bring to the boil. Reduce heat, simmer, covered for another 15 minutes. Cool.

Blend or process soup in batches until smooth. Return soup to pan and add cream, stir over medium heat until hot. Serve bowls of soup sprinkled with herbs. Serves 5.

Photo by Krissie.