28 May 2014

Suitcase. France Countdown

I'm on the countdown.... 40 sleeps to go!

I am pretty massively freakin' excited for my trip to France. Not long now until I'm indulging in croissants, cafe au lait and the finest champagne the French have to offer! The trip-planning has come together well and I've pretty much got everything sorted. As much as I'd like to be one of those fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants kind of travellers, I have done plenty of research because I'd hate to miss something wonderful! Here's what I've got planned so far; I'd love to hear your suggestions...


Paris is the first stop. I have been here once before when I did all the main touristy things like the Eiffel Tower, the Louvre and Sacre Couer. This time I'm looking forward to exploring the city a bit more like a local; I'm thinking shopping at the markets and lunchtime picnics along the Seine. I also can't wait to indulge in some Parisian fashions - I've been saving to shop shop shop! While in Paris I also plan to do a day trip to some of the region's chateaux. This is where I'm quite torn: Versailles or Loire Valley? I only have a day to spare and Versaille is much closer and easier to get to whilst Loire is further but has those castles that look like they're straight out of fairytales. Has anyone been to either? I'd love to hear what you think.

After a week in Paris is it on to Lyon. They say if Paris is the heart of France, then Lyon is the stomach - this city is renown for its gastronomy and I can't wait to sample the local cuisine. I'm not sure I'm ready to give snails a go but I'd really like to try frog's legs! I've never been to Lyon before so I'm looking forward to exploring the old and new parts of town. I'll be here for Bastille Day so am very excited to be involved in the celebrations. I hear the fireworks along the river are quite a sight! While in Lyon I'm going to do a day-trip to Annercy; a small town nestled at the foot of the French alps which looks like a miniature version of Venice with so many waterways! I'm sure there will be plenty of wonderful photo opportunities!

After five days in Lyon it's onto the final leg of the journey - the Cote D'Azur. The French Riviera is referred to as the "Coast of Gold" so I'm expecting some spectacular sights. I'll be based in Nice for a week and during this time I plan to explore Cannes, Monaco, Eze, Grasse and Ventimiglia (just so I can pop over the Italian boarder and say "ciao bella!"). A boat trip out on the water is certainly on the cards, as well as sunning myself on the golden sand (which I hear is actually shipped in from the Whitsundays - how about that!?).

What do you think? If you've been to France I'd love to hear what your favourites sights were, I'm open to all suggestions. Merci beaucoup.

Photo by Krissie.