30 July 2014

One Day. London Living Day Three


Day three London and here I am.  It's a funny feeling knowing you've packed up your life and landed in somewhere completely new where virtually no one knows you, you don't know your way around, everything seems foreign and the smallest task like food shopping becomes a huge thing because nothing looks the same. Despite all that I must say I'm surprised at how much I love it here already, I thought it would take some time to adjust but I seem to be right in the pommy swing of things. I will say though that there have been a few things I've noticed that have really stuck out to me as new or unusual. Here's a few London quirks that I've come across:

  • If you are wearing shorts or sunglasses people will stare at you. I'm not quite sure why, because when it's over 25 degrees and sunny it seems obvious to me to wear shorts and put sunglasses on, but it seems the poms don't agree. Literally no one [ok, very few people] seem to wear sunglasses here and I get the strangest looks when I have mine on. Likewise if I'm out for a walk in shorts, the people who are sweating it out in jeans and pants just stare. Am I breaking some sort of fundamental U.K. fashion law here that I'm unaware of?
  • When you're walking the streets in a crowd, people are always right behind you; ghosting style. I don't know if they're in a hurry or just have no sense of personal space but it's quite creepy and I wish they wouldn't.
  • The acceptable working attire for men in London is an expensive tailored suit. No exceptions.
  • I can't seem to figure out what side of the road/path to walk on here. In Australia we drive on the left so we walk on the left, in Europe it's the opposite. With England driving on the left I would have thought they would be the same as Aus but it seems they've all gotten confused. Some on the left, some on the right, some down the middle and some switching from side to side. It makes it very difficult when you're out for a walk - it has turned into a bit of a dodge ball person situation. Can anyone shed some light on this?
  • The widely accepted fact that London is cold all the time is not true. So far it's been really really warm, I'm talking 28 degrees during the day. Dear sunshine, please last several months, sincerely Krissie.
  • And most importantly, the widely accepted fact that Made in Chelsea people live in Chelsea is in fact a lie. Evidently they live in my neck of the woods; Fulham. You'll be the first to know when I spot one.

Photo by Krissie.