27 October 2014

Plate Up. Lemon Butter Biscuits

Since I’ve moved to London I find myself watching Jamie Oliver a lot… a lot a lot. I sit on the couch with my hastily put together omelette because I’m too busy to cook and I watch him [with a grumbling stomach] as he whips up all manner of divine creations – his Comfort Food series has to be my favourite.

Back in Australia I was a huge cook, I loved to whip up dishes whether savoury or sweet but here in London I will say the lifestyle is generally very time-poor, not to mention the kitchens aren't functional and my landlord was anything but generous when he stocked our implements. I literally have two saucepans, an egg pan, a colander and a mixing spoon to work with - no baking trays, cake tins, mixing bowls or beaters – needless to say it’s been an adjustment.


But last weekend I thought it was time I put my chef’s hat back on and whip something together. With my basic implements, I decided the only thing I could bake was biscuits, so here we are, inspired by Mr Jamie Oliver himself – I give you Lemon Butter Biscuits [perfect with a cup of tea].


What you’ll need:
125g butter, room temperature
50g caster sugar
50g brown sugar
1 egg
200g plain flour
¼ teaspoon baking powder
Zest of 2 lemons
A pinch of sea salt

What to do:
Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius and line a baking tray. Mix together your butter and sugar and then add in the egg. Make sure it’s well combined (I used a fork and some serious arm power but if you do have access to a beater this might be handy). Add the flour, baking powder, lemon zest and salt and combine until doughy.

Roll up dessert spoon sized balls of dough in your hand and flatten onto the tray making them about ½cm  thick. With Christmas approaching you could also cut out some little shapes. Bake for 15 minutes or until the biscuits are just turning golden. Cool on a rack and then dig in.

Photos by Krissie.