8 November 2015

Plate Up. Immune-Boosting Super Soup

As you may well recall I had a tough time of it last winter here in London. Between flus, coughs, colds and a mild case of S.A.D. (seasonal affective disorder, look it up it’s totally a thing!) I wasn’t feeling the greatest throughout the endless winter. This year, I’m prepared. I’ve already been taking vitamins for 4 months to boost my immunity, I’ve got a stock of gargle, I have hand-sanitizer in every handbag AND I have a little extra trick up my sleeve. This immune-boosting super soup…


A one-pot wonder, utterly delicious and full of germ-fighting remedies. I suggest you whip it up. Is every second day too often?...

What you’ll need
1 tablespoon sunflower oil
1 onion finely, sliced
400g Jerusalem artichokes, peeled and finely diced
3 garlic gloves, crushed
1cm piece fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated
1.5 litre vegetable stock
200g vermicelli rice noodles
200g mushrooms, sliced
1 red chilli, thinly sliced (optional)
1 1/2 teaspoons turmeric powder
Juice of 1/2 lime
Leaves from 1/2 bunch coriander
Ground sea salt and pepper

What to do
Heat the oil in a large pan over low heat and sauté the onion and artichokes for 8-10mins until they're nice and sticky and golden.


Add the garlic and ginger and give it a toss. Then add the stock, mushrooms, chilli (if you fancy) and turmeric and bring to the boil. Add in the noodles and simmer until they're cooked through, approx 10mins.



Then it's a matter of just squeezing in the lime juice and seasoning.

If you’re feeling extra peckish then chicken, prawns or fish go well in here, add them at the same stage as the noodles.




Winter come at me, I'm ready.

Share your comments with me on InstagramFacebook or Twitter.

Photos by Krissie